All publications by Heather E. Young-Leslie, unless otherwise indicated.
(see Wordwrite tab for pdf versions of some publications)
- Tongan Constructions of Happiness and Satisfaction. Happiness Across Cultures; Views of Happiness and Quality of Life in Non-Western Cultures. Vol 6 of the Science Across Cultures: History and Practice Series, Helaine Seline and Gareth Davey, eds. Springer Press. pp 181-194, 2012 . First author with Sean E. Moore (My contribution 50%).
- Thinking Ecographically: Places, Ecographers and Environmentalism, Nature+Culture 3 (2):183-205 2008. Co-authored with Jamon Halvaksz
- Political Report: Tonga (re: The ‘Peaceable Coup’). The Contemporary Pacific 19(1). Jan 2007.
- A Fishy Romance: Chiefly Power and the Geopolitics of Desire. The Contemporary Pacific 19(2). Spring 2007. (original title: ‘Ecography and dthe Geopolitics of Desire’ changed by the press)
- Sea Turtle Wars; Culture, War and Sea Turtles in the Republic of Marshall Islands. SPC Traditional Marine Resource Management and Knowledge Information Bulletin #21 – October 2007. Regina Woodrom, Julie Kroeker, Heather Young Leslie and Suzanne Finney.
- Pacific Textiles, Pacific Cultures: Hybridity and Pragmatic Creativity. Pacific Arts, n.s. Vol 3-5, 2007. Special double issue in honour of Jehanne Tielhet-Fisk. Co-authored with Ping-Ann Addo.
- “….Like a Mat Being Woven”. Pacific Arts, n.s. Vol 3-5:115-127, 2007
- Hybrid Textiles: Pragmatic Creativity and Authentic Innovations in Pacific Cloth. Special Issue of Pacific Arts, n.s. vol 3-5, in honor of Jehanne Teilhet-Fisk, edited by Ping-Ann Addo, Heather E. Young-Leslie and Phyllis Herda.
- Bons Baisers De Samoa: Les Bonites De Hina et Le Tu’iha’angana De Tonga. Bulletin De La Société Des Études Océaniennes 304. Par Heather E. Young-Leslie, traduit avec Sylvie Maurer et Serge Dunis, 2005.
- Tongan Doctors and Critical Medical Ethnography. Anthropological Forum 15(3):277-286 Special Issue: Critical Ethnography, edited by Laurence Carucci and Michèle Dominy, 2005
- Subjective Well-Being and Life Satisfaction in the Kingdom of Tonga. By Sean E. Moore, Heather E. Young-Leslie and Carrie A Lavis, in: Social Indicators Research 70(3);287-311, 2005.
- Pushing Children Up: Maternal Obligation, Modernity, and Medicine in the Tongan Ethnoscape. In Globalization and Culture Change in the Pacific Islands, edited by Victoria Lockwood, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice-Hall Publishers, pp 390-413, 2004.
- Kau Faito’o: Traditional Healers of Tonga. Review of Film by Melinda Ostroff. The Contemporary Pacific 16(1) :219-223, 2004
- Producing What in the Transition? Health Messaging and Cultural Constructions of Health in Tonga. Pacific Health Dialog 9(2):296-302, 2002.
- Women of the New Millennium: Tongan Women Determine their Development Direction. By Clare Bleakely and Heather E. Young-Leslie (a “silent”, posthumous co-authorship). The Contemporary Pacific 14(1):134-147, 2002
- Understanding Differences and Similarities. By Heather E. Young-Leslie and Mike Evans. In Ethnographic Essays in Cultural Anthropology; A Problem Based Approach. Morrison, R. Bruce and C. Roderick Wilson (eds). Itasca, F.E. Peacock Publishers, 2001 [Now available from Wadsworth Press, CA]
- Fosterage in Oceania. Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women’s Studies. Cheris Kramarae and Dale Spender, Eds. New York N.Y. Routledge, 2000.
- Considering the Impact of Gender in Tongan Whaling: A Framework for Evaluation and Suggestions for Maximizing Benefits to Women. Issues in Indigenous Whaling: Tonga, World Council of Whalers. M. Freeman, Editor, 1999.
- 1999 Inventing Health: Tradition, Textiles and Maternal Obligation in the Kingdom of Tonga. Doctoral dissertation, 407 pages, York University.
- The Anthropologist, The Mother And The Cross-Cultured Child: Lessons in The Relativity Of Cultural Relativity. In: Fieldwork and Families: Constructing New Models for Ethnographic Research. Juliana Flinn, Leslie Marshall, and Jocelyn Armstrong Eds., Honolulu, University of Hawai`i Press, 1998.
- Flexibility and Preparation: Keys to Good Fieldwork. In Instead of Full Stops. Susan Sellers, Ed. London U.K., The Women’s Press, 1996.